Friday, September 28, 2018

P50-M landfill to rise in Tabaco City in 2019

Mayor Cielo Krisel Lagman Luistro

LEGAZPI CITY--A 5-hectare sanitary landfill (SLF) facility will soon rise in Barangay Marirok in Tabaco City next year, Mayor Cielo Krisel Lagman Luistro said Wednesday.

Luistro said the construction of the SLF facility would now comply with the government’s proper waste disposal program under RA 9003, or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act.

Luistro, in a phone interview, said the Dynamic Builders and Woodfields Consultants, Inc. was contracted to build the PHP50-million facility.

She said “construction work would start next month and the facility would be fully operational by July of next year.”

The Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources has issued an Environmental Clearance Certificate (ECC) to start the SLF construction project at Barangay Marirok, an upland village in Tabaco City.

In 2015, Luistro and Polangui Mayor Cherilie Mella Sampal were suspended by the Office of the Ombudsman for operating an open dumpsite in their respective localities.

Ombudsman Samuel Martires, however, lifted the suspension order last Sept. 3 and directed the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) to implement the recall order.

Martires, in recalling the suspension order, also asked for a review of the implementation of the waste disposal program under RA 9003.

The review would determine how capable are the local governments to finance and comply with the law in the setting up of sanitary landfill facilities in their areas of jurisdiction.

It would also define the role of the national government in assisting LGU in carrying out the waste disposal program.

As for the 3-hectare open dumpsite in Barangay San Antonio, which according to Luistro was already closed last year, the city government would pour in an additional PHP18 million for its rehabilitation.

She said that even before her suspension she has already complied with the order closing the open dumpsite on March 17 last year.

She said “when I received the order on March 2015 for us to close the 3-hectare open dumpsite I immediately scouted for an alternative area where we can build a sanitary landfill as compliance to the order.”

Meanwhile, Polangui Mayor Cherilie Mella Sampal, in an interview, said she is negotiating with Daraga Mayor Awin Baldo for the use of the Daraga Sanitary Landfill once the facility becomes operational next year.

She said that the open dumpsite in Sitio Barobo, Barangay Sugtad was already closed in compliance with the law.

Sampal said lack of resources in preventing them to build their own SLF which prompted them to negotiate with Daraga town for the use of their facility.

Polangui, in partnership with the EMB, is now conducting a waste analysis on 44 town villages as well as the business establishments operating in the municipality.

Sampal said the town collects six tons of garbage daily and these waste are segregated and goes to a material recovery facility. (PNA)
Share:

Featured Post

Duterte condoles with families of slain, wounded Bicol cops, soldiers

Bicol Standard photo NAGA CITY (Bicol Standard) – President Rodrigo Duterte led the awarding of medals to members of the police and arm...