[Latest News][6]

2016
Achievers
Advisory
Agriculture
Albay
Albay News
Announcements
Banner
Bicol
Bicol Express
bicol local news
bicol local newspaper
Bicol News
bicol news latest
Bicol Songs
Bicol Vigilantes
Bicolana beauties
Bicolano achievers
Bikol news
Binibining Pilipinas
Business
Camarines Norte
Camarines Sur
Caramoan Massacre
Case in Point
Catanduanes
Celebrations
Church
Column
Community
Contributions
Culture
Daet
Daraga
Development
Disaster
Documents
Drugs
Economy
Editorial
Education
Entertainment
Environment
Events
Feature
Features
Filipino News
Food
Food Trip
Government
Headlines
Health
Human Interest
Infographics
Infrastructure
Iriga
Iriga City
Isipon Osipon
Jobs
Jokes
Kantang suanoy
Legazpi
Legazpi City
Letters
Libmanan
Lifestyle
Ligao City
Live
Masbate
masbate city
mayon
MayonPH
Media
Mining
Modelo Bikolano
Nabua
Naga
Naga City
Nagueno
Nation
National
News
News Bullets
OFW
Opinion
Oragon
Orgullo
Palarong Bicol 2014
Palarong Bicol 2015
Penafrancia
Penafrancia 2014
Photos
Places
PNR
Police
Police Report
Politics
Polls
Power
Power Watch
Rawitdawit
Region
Science
Sorosgon
Sorsogon
Sorsogon City
Sorsoson
Special
Sports
Tabaco City
Tigsik
Tips
Tourism
Trending
Trivia
Videos
virac
Weather
Weekly Roundup
Who reads Bicol Standard
Willy Bayola
World
Youth

OPINION | Writ of habeas corpus

by Mekmek

The Honorable Senator should think twice about suspending the writ of habeas corpus.  The President doesn’t need it, and he’s not asking for it.



People like the Senator don’t need the writ of habeas corpus.  They can afford red meat and the amenities of civilized life.  They have the wherewithal to educate their offspring.  They dwell behind the protection of concrete walls and private security guards.  Cops knock politely on their doors and ask permission to enter the premises.  If by any chance they have a misunderstanding with the law, they have pricy attorneys and influential friends to bail them out.

Poor and friendless people need the writ of habeas corpus.    Their shanties of recycled plastic, tin can and cardboard cutouts offer no protection against unwarranted arrests and disappearances.

We believe that 99.9% of law enforcement and the military are nice and decent professionals doing a dangerous job.  They are not the reason why we have these annoying little laws to protect our civil rights.  It’s the other 0.1% sociopathic criminal portion of the population that we are guarding against.
Most of us are content to pursue mundane, boring lives.  We raise children, pay our bills, and have fun every now and then.  Rich or poor, most of us have no encounter with the law.  But a few of us are stupid or just plain unlucky.  So we came up with the constitution, bill of rights, writ of habeas corpus and countless other annoying little legal protocol to protect the unlucky 0.1% from the sociopathic 0.1% of the population.

That guy Jesus was always pestering us to take care of the marginalized.  Well, if you believe in that guy, we should leave the writ of habeas corpus alone.  You and I may not need it, but some other poor schmuck might.

Bicol Standard

Bicol news

Start typing and press Enter to search