Boy, 11, hurt in firecracker explosion
|Firecracker stock photo from Pixabay user PublicDomainPictures|
Marquez said victim Jay-An Antonio De Vera, a student and resident of Iraya Norte, Oas, was rushed to the Bicol Regional Teaching and Training Hospital (BRTTH) in Legazpi City.
The fireworks display was done at about 2 p.m. in celebration of the feast of the Immaculate Conception, the patroness of the town.
After the event, De Vera and his two companions decided to gather the unspent powder of the explosives, place these in a can and ignited the contents.
The burning powder exploded, causing burns in De Vera's face and body.
He is now being treated at the BRTTH.
The victim's two friends were spared as they were able to run when the powder was still burning.
"This should serve as a lesson to those who still plan to use firecrackers in the celebration of Christmas and New Year despite our strong warning and strict implementation of the firecracker ban," Marquez said. Authorities are investigating the incident. (PNA)