Masbate electric firm employee electrocuted

MASBATE CITY— An employee of the Masbate Electric Cooperative Inc. (Maselco) was electrocuted, fell off the post, and hit the cemented ground at Sitio Matungao, Barangay Tugbo, Masbate City Saturday morning.

The police report identified the victim as Benjie Betres, 31, a resident of Mobo, Masbate.

It said that a day before the incident, the management of the cooperative advised electric consumers, through text messaging, that power interruption would take effect from 8 a.m. up to 5 p.m., affecting the entire Masbate City and the towns of Balud and Baleno, for preventive maintenance and electrical post switching for the Gaisano Mall in Masbate City.

On the early morning of Saturday, power interruption had already been experienced within the city at about 5 a.m. and power was suddenly restored at around 7 a.m.

It was within this time that Betres climbed an electric post in Sitio Matungao, Barangay Tugbo but got electrocuted and fell into the concrete ground.

The victim was declared dead on arrival at the hospital.

The Maselco and DMCI are jointly operating the electrification of the entire mainland of Masbate Province.(by Norman Tamar, PNA)