PNP to beef up security in Naga gimmick spots

NAGA CITY—Police here are imposing measures to tighten security in the gimmick strip, after a scuffle that resulted to two deaths and two injuries occurred in the area over the weekend.

This is also in response to the public outcry that police officers were nowhere to be found near Kina’Mon Resto Bar and Grill on Magsaysay Avenue, where the incident took place.

Kina’Mon Resto Bar and Grill, Magsaysay Avenue, Naga City
Photo by Oscar Esmenda/BICOLSTANDARD.COM


It would be remembered that around 12 midnight on Sunday, a misunderstanding broke out among customers of said watering hole.

Involved in the altercation were two groups, each composed of four members.

The suspect’s group, according to the spot report, stabbed Nino Raphael Estipona y Cabase, 27; Rendel Ryan Sy III y Delfino, 26; Sylvester  Gray Berina y del Castillo, 24; and Jennsen Mayuga y Tuto, 26.

Meanwhile, the suspects were identified as Antonio Cano y Sayson, 28, and Antonio Cano y Rentoria, 23, both residents of Bagumbayan Sur, Naga City, the police said.  The identities of two other suspects remain unknown.

They were believed, according to the police report, to be under the influence of liquor.
After the incident, Delfino was rushed to Mother Seton Hospital, and was declared dead on arrival by Dr. Xerxes Torres.

Estipona, who was brought to Bicol Medical Center, was pronounced dead by 2:03 a.m. by Dr. Kristine Camille P. Prieto.

The two other victims, Sylvester Gray Berina y del Castillo, 24; and Jennsen Mayuga y Tuto, 26 were also brought to the Mother Seton Hospital for medical treatment.

Police not security guards

Philippine National Police (PNP) Officer-in-Charge (OIC) City Director PSSupt. Narciso Damaso Domingo, in an interview with BICOL STANDARD, admitted that the local police could not possibly secure all commercial establishments, as they cover a much wider area.

“Hindi po security guards ang mga pulis natin,” he explained.

He said, however, that the police were on foot patrol in a nearby street. This, he explained, was why they were able to respond quickly as a report of the incident reached them.

Domingo emphasized that security guards, however, should be more vigilant.

“Apparently may mga pagkukulang po sa part ng mga security guards,” he said, noting that several security guards seem unprepared to handle such situations.

He is thus calling for an emergency conference of security agencies servicing the city to remind them of their duty.

Reports reaching his office, Domingo said, allege that some security agencies allow people who have no licenses or have undergone no training to work as security guards.

With the rising criminality in the city, these violations should be avoided at all costs for the people of Naga to feel safer and more secure, Domingo stressed.


Meanwhile, he absolved the owners of Kina’Mon of liability.

He explained that the incident occurred in the street, and not within the establishment itself.

The City Director also confirmed that they have filed a case for murder against suspects Antonio Cano y Sayson and Antonio Cano y Rentoria, who were apprehended by the police, with the help of concerned citizens.

The two unidentified suspects, however, were able to escape.

A manhunt operation to trace their whereabouts has already been launched, Domingo said.


On social media, friends of the victims have started calling for justice since the news broke out on Sunday.

But in an interview with BICOL STANDARD, members of the family of the victims begged off from issuing statements.

They said that they will still have to discuss what legal actions to take.

They will defer any move until after the victims are buried.—With reports from Oscar Esmenda and Boyet Paderes, BICOLSTANDARD.COM


Powered by Blogger.