Friday, March 20, 2015

MADAYA! | Salceda slams Palarong Bicol 2015 cheating scandal

(DEVELOPING) PILI, Camarines Sur—A dismayed Governor Joey Salceda of Albay faced the press here today to hit an alleged player-switching as the Palarong Bicol 2015 comes to a close today.

Salceda slams Palarong Bicol 2015 cheating scandal
Photo courtesy of Edgar Tumangan, Wow Smile Radio Sorsogon
This cheating allegation prompted the governor to make an unscheduled visit to Camarines Sur.

According to Salceda, ten players of team Camarines Sur misrepresented themselves to be the enlisted players to ensure their win. 

The governor did not reveal the particular rigged event/s. He only said that the game/s involved "athletics." 

CIDG

Meanwhile, the Crime and Intelligence Detection Group 5 was requested by the Albay governor to intervene in this matter.

Initial information received by BICOL STANDARD disclose that some of the minor players involved in this scandal are from Minalabac town, here.

This was confirmed by Baliuag Viejo Punong Barangay Marietta Abucar who disclosed that a CIDG team went to her residence to get information regarding the identity of the players.

She added that she issued a certification attesting to the fact that they are bona fide residents of her barangay. 

Protest

A letter of protest addressed to the Chairman of the Regional Screening and Accreditation Committee (RSAC) was submitted by the Albay team today.

A hearing, headed by DepEd Chief Administrative Officer Jose Bonto,  was conducted early Friday evening to discuss Albay's allegations.

The hearing committee thereafter directed the  RSAC  to make an assessment and submit a recommendation on Monday.

RSAC was also ordered to determine whether or not the questioned players should be allowed to represent Bicol in the Palarong Pambansa.

Bonto said that the DepEd Regional Office is considering nullifying the results, if the allegations are proven to be true.

Those who will be proven to have participated in player-switching will be slapped with administrative and even criminal cases, he said.


Disappointed

Salceda was disheartened over this Palaro cheating scandal because he said the Provincial Government of Albay had given its athletes its full support.

“The players had been training for three months,” exclaimed Salceda.

Compared with other Bicol provinces, Albay gives the greatest incentive to the players.  It promised to give P5,000, P3,000, and P2,000 to every bearer of gold, silver and bronze medal, respectively.

This does not also help in the already dismal performance of the region in the Palarong Pambansa, said Salceda.

The Bicol tourism advocate also lamented: how can we promote our region when we try to dupe each other?

Albay is ready and willing to face defeat. But certainly, Albayanos cannot accept being robbed of their win because of dishonesty, he expressed.

Salceda said the winners' ineligibility has, in effect, denied Bicol representation in the Palarong Pambansa. Said players will certainly not meet the strict screening process enforced in said national sports fest.

Albay will play host to the next Palarong Pambansa.


Remedy

Salceda presented two suggestions to resolve this issue.

First is to repeat the games.

Second is to award the medals to Albay instead of the ineligible players.


Villafuerte

When sought for comment by BICOL STANDARD, Camarines Sur governor Miguel "Migz" Villafuerte said this issue properly belongs to the Department of Education (DepEd).

He promised, however, to conduct an investigation on the issue.

—With additional report from Edgar Tumangan (WOW Smile Radio-Sorsogon), Oscar Esmenda, Mark Kevin Arroco (Bombo Radyo-Legazpi) BICOLSTANDARD.COM Pirming enot. Pirming bago.
Share:

SPECIAL OFFER

SPECIAL OFFER

Featured Post

Sorsogon mayor, 2 others charged in Sandiganbayan

SORSOGON CITY 5/23/17 (Bicol Standard) -- Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales has recommended the filing of criminal charges against Bu...