[Latest News][6]

2016
Achievers
Advisory
Agriculture
Albay
Albay News
Announcements
Banner
Bicol
Bicol Express
bicol local news
bicol local newspaper
Bicol News
bicol news latest
Bicol Songs
Bicol Vigilantes
Bicolana beauties
Bicolano achievers
Bikol news
Binibining Pilipinas
Business
Camarines Norte
Camarines Sur
Caramoan Massacre
Case in Point
Catanduanes
Celebrations
Church
Column
Community
Contributions
Culture
Daet
Daraga
Development
Disaster
Documents
Drugs
Economy
Editorial
Education
Entertainment
Environment
Events
Feature
Features
Filipino News
Food
Food Trip
Government
Headlines
Health
Human Interest
Infographics
Infrastructure
Iriga
Iriga City
Isipon Osipon
Jobs
Jokes
Kantang suanoy
Legazpi
Legazpi City
Letters
Libmanan
Lifestyle
Ligao City
Live
Masbate
masbate city
mayon
MayonPH
Media
Mining
Modelo Bikolano
Nabua
Naga
Naga City
Nagueno
Nation
National
News
News Bullets
OFW
Opinion
Oragon
Orgullo
Palarong Bicol 2014
Palarong Bicol 2015
Penafrancia
Penafrancia 2014
Photos
Places
PNR
Police
Police Report
Politics
Polls
Power
Power Watch
Rawitdawit
Region
Science
Sorosgon
Sorsogon
Sorsogon City
Sorsoson
Special
Sports
Tabaco City
Tigsik
Tips
Tourism
Trending
Trivia
Videos
virac
Weather
Weekly Roundup
Who reads Bicol Standard
Willy Bayola
World
Youth

16 firecracker victims recorded in Albay; 53 total in Bicol

LEGAZPI CITY—The celebration of New Year in Albay was generally orderly and peaceful, a report compiled by the Albay Provincial Police Office said.

Senior Supt. Marlo Meneses, APPO director, said reports from the 18 chiefs of police of the cities and towns in the province showed that from December 16 up to Thursday morning, there were 16 cases of firecracker accidents.

Meanwhile, the Department of Health registered a total of 53 firecracker victims this year, seven percent lower than that of 2013’s mark of 57, which DOH officials attributed to the bad weather prevailing in the region.

The cities of Legazpi and Tabaco registered five cases each, two in Ligao City and one each in the towns of Daraga, Polangui, Camalig and Oas.

Nine of the victims used piccolo firecrackers, while "kwitis" victimized three, "bawang" had two, "pla-pla" had one and an unknown firecracker brand hit one person. Of the 16 victims, Meneses said, 14 were males while two were females.

The youngest victim was six years old from Tabaco City while the oldest was 42 years old from Polangui town who lighted a kwitis.

The police official said that even before the year ended, his men had already conducted a series of successful buy-bust operations against persons behind the sale of illegal firecrackers.

The police operatives arrested a Chinese national in a buy-bust operation on Demetrio St., Barangay Quinale, Tabaco City.

Meneses identified the suspect as Chen Quingshui, 46, from Fujan, China, who yielded various brands of illegal firecrackers.

Legazpi City police operatives also successfully raided a store in the city that was selling illegal firecrackers.

The campaign was in accordance with RA 7183 or an Act regulating the sale, manufacture, distribution, use, importation of firecrackers, the Albay police chief explained.

Meneses added that these operations were in line with the Green Christmas program of Governor Joey Sarte Salceda.—by By Nancy Ibo Mediavillo for PNA

Bicol news | Albay news | Camarines Norte news | Camarines Sur news | Catanduanes news | Daet news | Iriga City news | Ligao City news | Masbate news |Masbate City news | Naga City news | Sorsogon news | Sorsogon City news | Tabaco City news | Virac news | Bicol Standard on Facebook | Bicol Standard on Youtube | Bicol Standard on Instagram | Bicol Standard on Google+ | Bicol Standard on Pinterest | Latest news in Bicol region | Bikol news | Bicol newspaper | 

Bicol Standard

Bicol news

Start typing and press Enter to search