3 dead, 2 ill after eating pawikan meat

IROSIN, SORSOGON—Three children were declared dead after eating meat from a sea turtle, or pawikan.

Authorities identified the fatalities as Juvelyn, Jose Bernard and Jacob Alon, children of Pio and Theresa Alon of Barangay Liang, this town.

The children perished due to food poisoning from turtle meat, according to Dr. Maxima Gonzales of Irosin District Hospital.

Their parents, meanwhile, are confined at the Irosin District Hospital, and are still recovering as of press time.

The meat of sea turtles is considered poisonous for humans. The poison, known as chelonitoxin, is from the sea sponges that the turtles ingest.

This is not the first time that sea turtle meat poisoning has been reported in the Philippines. Deaths from eating pawikan meat have been recorded in parts of Western Visayas.—BICOLSTANDARD.PH
Bicol news | Albay news | Camarines Norte news | Camarines Sur news | Catanduanes news | Daet news | Iriga City news | Ligao City news | Masbate news |Masbate City news | Naga City news | Sorsogon news | Sorsogon City news | Tabaco City news | Virac news | Bicol Standard on Facebook | Bicol Standard on Youtube | Bicol Standard on Instagram | Bicol Standard on Google+ | Bicol Standard on Pinterest | Latest news in Bicol region | Bikol news | Bicol newspaper | 

Start typing and press Enter to search