Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Firecracker-related injuries up by 108%, says DOH Bicol


LEGAZPI CITY — The Department of Health Regional Office V recorded a 108% increase in firecracker-related injuries this year as compared to last year’s figures.

According to the agency’s tally, which covers the period from December 21 to January 1, there were 77 firecracker-related injuries across the region during the holiday season.

The province with the largest number of firecracker-related injuries is Albay, with 31. Next is Camarines Norte with 15; Camarines Sur with 14; Sorsogon with 10; Naga City with 4; and Catanduanes with 2. There were no injuries that were recorded in the province of Masbate.

The agency’s records also reveal that the piccolo is the firecracker which caused the largest number of injuries, with 48 victims across the region. The kwitis, meanwhile, injured ten persons, whereas the five star, five.

Most of the victims were noted to be minors.

There were also three recorded victims of stray bullets in Bicol.

Dr. Evie Sarmiento of DOH-Bicol said that the records were based on the agency’s sentinel hospitals in the region. They do not include, however, the injuries that were treated in private hospitals, along with those in which the victims chose to self-medicate.

Prior to the holidays, the DOH, along with the Philippine National Police (PNP) and local government agencies solicited the public’s support for a zero-casualty celebration of Christmas and New Year.

It will be recalled that in the province of Albay, Gov. Joey Salceda issued an executive order that imposes sanctions on contractual employees,  permanent employees, and barangay officials who are caught lighting firecrackers.
Share:

Featured Post

Bicol employers reminded to give 13th month pay on time

LEGAZPI CITY - The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) RO V reminded employers to pay the 13th month pay of their workers on time a...